Citation acknowledges any source that has directly influenced your language, ideas, or arguments.
You cite sources:
- to give credibility to the ideas you're presenting and show that they have a solid footing in previous work
- to allow readers to trace your ideas back to their original sources
- to avoid plagiarism by giving credit to those whose work has informed yours
- to show that you've done your homework and that you know your stuff!
- to let your readers find your sources for further reading